Bankruptcy and the IRS

When You Owe Money to the IRS

Owing money to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) can be a frightening experience. When you owe money, the best thing to do is to get help. Seek advice from a well-qualified bankruptcy lawyer at Skrupa Law Office, LLC.

Our law firm has two convenient locations in Omaha and Lincoln. We are committed to giving compassionate guidance through your troubled times. This means that we don’t judge you for having financial problems — we just figure out a way to fix them.

Using the Bankruptcy Code to Handle Tax Debts

Many people with financial problems owe a considerable amount of personal tax, sales tax or employment tax to the IRS. Some of these tax debts are dischargeable in bankruptcy. Others are negotiable through IRS debt settlement.

At Skrupa Law Office, LLC, we help people create solutions to their financial problems, often by filing chapter 7 bankruptcy to erase tax debts or by filing chapter 13 bankruptcy to help create a repayment plan to the IRS.

  • Chapter 7 and taxes: In chapter 7 bankruptcy, the court discharges your debts without requiring you to pay them back. Some income taxes can be discharged in chapter 7 bankruptcy if certain tax code requirements are met.
  • Chapter 13 and taxes: Chapter 13 is the most common type of bankruptcy filed by people with tax debts. It creates a monthly debt payment plan based on what you can afford to pay. Debts — including some taxes — may not have to be paid in full.

Our Nebraska law firm also helps people facing IRS tax liens and wage garnishment. We have a great deal of experience related to bankruptcy and the IRS. Using in-depth knowledge of federal and state laws, our lawyers can help you create solutions that work for you.

Tax Liens? Wage Garnishment? Call Us Today for an Appointment.

Many people are surprised at how much tax debt they can actually get rid of through bankruptcy, but you won’t know exactly how the law impacts you unless you talk with a lawyer. To find out more, talk with an attorney at Skrupa Law Office, LLC. Contact us by calling our Omaha law office at (402) 513-9208 or our Lincoln law office at (402) 513-9357.

Tenemos empleados que hablan español en nuestra oficina de Omaha.